Tuesday 1 December 2009

London and Bath


So I went to London and Bath about 2 weeks ago now so I should probably write about them...

Both trips were really great. I saw all of the necessary sights in London and got all the pictures that everyone else has that has been to L
ondon. I can now check that off the list. I really enjoyed the city. It seemed like a really great place. I walked most places and I really liked seeing different parts of the city. The parliament building was one of my favorites. It was really nice. Also West Minster Abby was beautiful. I stayed in London for about 3 full days so I was trying to squeeze in as much sight seeing as possible. I think I succeeded despite the horrible amount of rain for two of the days that I was there. One of the good things about the rain though was the resulting clouds that were pretty amazing. I enjoy sky things and it made for more interesting pictures. A lot of walking happened and quite frequently I wanted to rip off my feet. I will never overestimate the power of a good pair of walking shoes ever again.
The people that I met at my hostel were great as well. It was a really fun group. I
met 2 girls that were also traveling by themselves so I got to hear a lot of stories and ask questions. The best part is that the one girl who has been traveling the longest recommended wearing a ring on your ring finger of your left hand in order to deter some creepers. So basically I get to go buy some form of a band and start telling people I'm married! I think some really great fake stories could come from that so that makes me happy. Soon soon.
Also there were several french boys at our hostel who were all really nice. They cooked for us the first night that I was there and I decided it may be in my best interest to marry a french man. I enjoy food. Mmm.
From there I traveled to Bath. I was really excited to go because it is where my mom grew up and I have always wanted to go and see where my mom was a little kid. I've heard lots of stories about it so it seems nice to know some of the stuff my mom talks about now! The city was beautiful. Old buildings, historical roman baths, etc. It was a nice smaller sized town so everything was very close which was a nice change from London. My favorite part was the Roman Baths. They were very impressive. Those Romans sure knew how to construct things. Bath has the only natural hot spring in the UK and the Romans put it to good use. It was crazy because all of the original plumbing things were still working to keep the main pool full. That is a very long time to still be functioning. Way to go Romans. They also thought the hot spring was there because of one of their gods so they would throw things in it that they wanted to the goddess to have. I really liked that people wrote curses on metal pieces for thieves that stole their things and then crumbled them up and threw them in the water. There were some great curses for people who stole cloaks, gloves, etc. from others at the baths.

Both of my trips were very nice and I'm glad I got the chance to explore england more! Hooray.

No comments:

Post a Comment